Friday, February 15, 2013

It hardly gets any better


It hardly gets any better than publishing debut novels. If I may be utterly self-indulgent for a bit, there is a pleasure special to editors in looking back at an author’s first book in light of all their subsequent work. And I've been very blessed in this regard over the past seven years or so. And it’s frankly heartwarming to witness the support established authors give to newcomers here in the kidlitosphere. The generosity never ceases to amaze me.

So allow me to introduce the two debutante Lab Rats for fall 2013, including their jackets and some advance accolades from fellow authors. Click the caption below the jacket to see everything.


A Wounded Name by Dot Hutchison

Sex & Violence by Carrie Mesrobian
So many people help get a debut book to an audience, but Tess Gratton, Victoria Schwab, Andrew Smith, Geoff Herbach, Patrick Jones, and Trish Doller all deserve special thanks for helping launch Carrie and Dot. My eternal gratitude to you all.

But wait, there's more!

Would you like to win an ARC of these two debuts? Would you like to win an ARC packed in a box with a copy of every debut novel Lab has ever published? There are two ways to accomplish this:

1. Send me a video of you reciting a few lines from Hamlet. No costumes or staging necessary. No, I'm not kidding.

Here's mine:


And here's how a pro does it:




2. Send me a video of you reciting the Official Carolrhoda Lab poem, which is equally applicable to either of these novels.



Stick a link in the comments or email carolrhodasubmissions@lernerbooks.com.

On March 1, I'll pick three winners.