Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Send in the bastards

I did a little post over on gatekeeperspost.com last week about something I think is overrated in fiction: likeability. At the same time, I was toying with a new call for YA novel submissions (it’s been far too long since I’ve done one). Somehow, the two things have now combined in my head, and before I think better of it, I’m going to ask that you all send me your bastards (of all genders, naturally). Send me your problematic narrators, your cousins of little 6655321, your children of Humbert. In short, heroes need not apply. I’m not looking to like your narrators, but I’m hoping to adore your prose.

I don’t want really care about cover letters, so you can cut and paste this into the body of the email to which you attach your complete ms:

Please find attached a book narrated by a loathsome brute. Take him or leave him, but don’t like him.

In addition, if you’re inclined, I would welcome a brief note about your favorite unsympathetic narrator and why he or she won you, in spite of it all. The rest of the details on how to submit are here.

This call will expire after 11:59 PM on March 25th, 2011.