Thursday, September 2, 2010

9.02.10

A day that will live in teen infamy. A day that will never happen again. Yes, today is 90210, as in Beverly Hills 90210.

And who says 90210 had no literary merit? No place on a book blog? Nonsense! Witness, Dylan McKay, Byron scholar:

My teenage years and 90210 overlap almost perfectly, so even a small dose of this show is terrifyingly Proustian for me. I actually watched the pilot episode a couple years ago and nearly died, so be careful, late Gen-Xers; stroll down memory lane with caution. If you’re up for it, all ten seasons are available online for free (because who can put a price on our adolescence?).

Share your memories in the comments. (And remember, I’m writing this from where it all began, the city of Brandon and Brenda's birth.)

6 comments:

Steve Brezenoff said...

Beth (and sometimes I) watched this entire show during her pregnancy and when Sam was a newborn. Since you mention the protag's hometown: in one episode I watched with Beth, one of the two mentioned Wayzata and pronounced it woefully wrong. Poor research.

My only memory of 90210 during its initial run is hanging out in the RA's office with several other freshmen and watching the first (and for a long time, only) episode I'd ever seen. The annoying brainy girl got hit by a car. I laughed and everyone else glared at me. I left. I generally kept clear of the RA's office. Oddly, I know I was there to see Sinead O'Connor on SNL. I won't get into that story, but there was a lot more glaring.

Andrea Cremer said...

As a fellow Minnesotan and someone who also shared her teen years with 90210 and went to college the same year all those characters went to college, this show makes me super nostalgic. Brenda and Dylan forever. Kelly is an interloper! (Except liked her with Brandon). Look at that, I'm fifteen again.

Laura Lutz said...

I have an embarrassing memory: I had heard about the show and finally talked my dad into watching an episode with me. Wouldn't it be my luck that it was the one where Donna, Kelly, and Brenda give themselves breast self-examinations! At 13 years old, you can imagine my total humiliation. Didn't watch the show again for YEARS after that.

Thank goodness we didn't have Team So-and-So and Team So-and-So back then. But for the record, I am SO Team Brandon.

Fleur Bradley: said...

Wow, now there's a blast from the past... I was a teen when this show was on, and it was an event every week--even in Holland, half a world away from 90210.

It's really weird to watch it now. Was the lipstick really this garish? The show this cheesy? The acting that mediocre?

Yes, yes, and yes. But man, did I love that show.

Megan K. Bickel said...

I was a writer for the middle school news paper and had to do a story on the most popular TV shows. I had never heard of 90210 but it got the most votes, so I had to watch it to research. I was hooked for years after that! Writing can be dangerous! : )

Jen Robinson said...

That is too funny! I watched 90210 for years, though I was allegedly grown up. We used to assign the characters to roles from Happy Days (Dylan = Fonz, etc.). It works pretty well...