Friday, June 4, 2010

Samantha Bee of the Daily Show on her adolescence

Best observation of the adolescent condition I’ve heard in a while (heard her read it on Fresh Air):

“Hitting puberty excavated a wellspring of evilimage energy in me that led me to the discovery that my parents were  vulnerable and had made mistakes that could be exploited in an interesting way. Hating them with the white-hot wrath of a middle-class teenager was a full-time job I took very seriously. But at least when I was solely occupied with giving my parents stress-related ulcers, I had a sense of self-preservation about me--a shrewdness.”

 -from I Know I Am but What Are You? by Samantha Bee

I would go so far as to say that it is impossible to write great YA without addressing the vulnerabilities and mistakes of adults in some way (I’ll now be proved wrong by the very next submission I get, but I’m going to say it anyway).